It is the position of the Lester Public Library of Arpin to incorporate volunteers to support our Vision Statement, which encourages programming for all people in the community including children, young adults, and adults that as they grow, they develop life-long enjoyment and interests in reading and libraries.
The purpose of this policy is to define the roles and responsibilities for volunteers at the Lester Public Library of Arpin.
The definition of a Volunteer is someone who agrees to undertake, without pay, a given task that supports the library or a library sponsored activity.
Volunteers are required to fill out an application form and will be interviewed by the Library Director. Tasks will be assigned to volunteers based on library needs and the volunteer’s ability to commit to a consistent schedule of volunteer hours. Teen volunteers must be 12 years old having completed 6th grade.
- Dress neatly and appropriately
- Arrive on time to scheduled volunteer hours
- Notify the library in advance if unable to work scheduled time
- Follow the rules and proper behaviors in the library, including adhering to all library policies and procedures reviewed before beginning volunteer position. Volunteers are:
- Prohibited from being under the influence, possessing, selling or otherwise being involved with illegal substances and alcohol
- Will be removed from service if unable to adequately perform the duties assigned
- Will receive one written warning before being removed
- Be courteous and helpful to all patrons
- Must keep an accurate record of hours worked each week by signing in when arriving and signing out before leaving
- Attend occasional training sessions/meetings
- Straighten bookshelves
- Dust shelves and books
- Clean and repair books
- Vacuum carpets and wash windows
- Organize shelves and displays
- Shovel front of the library and near mailbox
- Sweep grass clippings from paved area near Free Library and Flagpole
- Assist staff during Summer Learning Program:
- Preparing materials, registering participants, tracking attendance, and clean up
- Setting up tables, microphones, and aiding performer with equipment
- Assist staff in posting events, things of interest, and library services on our Facebook and website
- Assist with other library programs and events as needed.
- Provide volunteers with specific training in their assigned duties
- Provide training on library policies
- Provide supervision and training by a member of the Library staff who will answer questions and provide feedback regarding duties
- Provide a safe work environment and all reasonable care will be taken to ensure the safety of volunteers
Reviewed and Updated: April 2017